Need + Talent + Time - These have been critical elements of SVP's call and response mission since 1997. With greater need in the community than ever and a wealth of talent and time emerging from Baby Boomers retiring from successful careers, SVP’s Encore Fellows Program invests resources in the visions of some of the most promising nonprofit organizations.
Encore Fellows are seasoned private-sector professionals entering retirement who are sponsored by their companies and communities to offer professional expertise and passion for a cause in a high-impact, high-priority project with one of SVP's most visionary nonprofits. Fellows take on roles that deliver significant, sustained impact to their nonprofit “host” organizations. During the fellowship period (typically 1000+ hours over 6-12 months, half- to full-time), Fellows earn a stipend, learn about social-purpose work, and develop a new network of contacts and resources for the future.
Encore Fellowships bring significant value to all participants and build on SVP’s foundation and reputation for developing effective, supportive relationships with nonprofits.
- Nonprofit organizations get a high-impact project or organizational priority accomplished and gain affordable, low-risk access to experienced, skilled talent as they transition into the social sector.
- Retiring or retired professionals are able to create a flexible, experiential pathway to social-purpose work and to make an immediate impact using the skills and experience they already have.
- Businesses and other sponsors benefit in a variety of ways: through deeper employee or member engagement, positive affiliation with a high-impact community engagement, identifying and opening new markets, and improved grantee effectiveness.
- Communities benefit directly by the impact of the Fellow’s work, and by the Fellow’s future engagement in the social sector. Of Civic Ventures’ 2009 Fellows class, nearly 100% of participants have remained active as employees, volunteers and/or Board members with the nonprofit/nonprofit sector.
- Social Venture Partners drives further positive impact in its grantees and the broader nonprofit community by deploying these highly-skilled Fellows. We also get the benefit of the Fellows’ and hosts’ collective experience, wisdom and tools developed in capacity building with the nonprofits.
Civic Ventures, along with a small number of pioneering corporations and non-profit agencies, introduced the nationally recognized Encore Fellows Program in 2009. In 2011, after two successful years in the San Francisco area, Civic Ventures launched an expansion of the program to eight cities across the US. Social Venture Partners Portland (SVPP) led the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area in being among the first cities in the US offering the program.
For more information on SVP’s Encore Fellows Program:
- Review and print a program brochure.
- Click on the links above for retired/retiring professionals or business and foundations.
- Contact Jim McGinley, Encore Fellows Program Director, jim-at-svpi.org or 425.753.5600.